Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Homemade Croutons
One of my all-time favorite things to make during the fall. This soup tastes so rich, it's hard to believe it's just vegetables with a touch of cream. This blended delight is balanced by crunchy croutons, rich crispy bacon and tangy gorgonzola cheese. A crowd pleaser 100% of the time! Not only that, it's SO easy to make, and you can store it in your freezer for up to 5 months to enjoy all winter long.
(1) 2lb butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into (1) inch cubes
(1) Small-Medium Sweet Onion, cut into large pieces (roughly the same size as your squash cubes)
(4) Cloves Garlic, peeled and slightly smashed
(½ ) Cup Chicken Broth, or veggie broth for vegan option. More or less as needed
(½) Cup Heavy Cream, Half & Half, or Coconut Milk for vegan option. More or less as needed
(4) Tbsp Avocado Oil (or another high smoke point oil)
(1) French Bread or Baguette- day or two old is best
Salt & Pepper
¼ tsp Garlic Powder
2 sprigs each fresh Rosemary & Thyme
Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
Real Bacon Bits
Blue Cheese Crumbles
Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
1. Preheat Oven to 400 degrees
2. Layout squash, onion, and garlic cloves on a baking sheet and mix with approx. (4) tbsp of oil, salt, pepper, thyme, and rosemary, and red pepper to taste
3. Roast for approximately (30) minutes, or until fork tender and starting to caramelize
4. While the squash is roasting, prepare your croutons (and/or other toppings like bacon bits!)
5. Cut your bread into 1 inch cubes, spread out on a sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
6. Once veggies are tender, transfer the squash, onions, herbs and spices to a blender. If you have an immersion blender, transfer to a large pot, add broth, and blend.
7. Add ½ cup the broth and blend, keep adding until you reach the desired consistency. The broth can be room temp, no need to heat it up.
8. At the end, blend in ½ cup of cream until just combined
9. Taste and add any additional salt and pepper if needed
10. Pour directly into your bowls and garnish with desired toppings!